Annika - Centennial, Colorado

I believe that everything in life is beautiful and if you don’t see it, you should just look harder.

Last year I went on my first mission trip with my church, to San Francisco. I was very nervous to go on the trip, because I didn’t really know anyone, and wasn’t quite sure what to expect. However, I knew from the moment I arrived, that it was going to be amazing. My group was assigned to work at the Salvation Army Kids Camp, take care of the kids, and make sure they had a great time. I was expecting to stay in the small basement where we were and make crafts out of pom-poms and paper plates. When they announced we would be going to the beach, I was almost as excited as the kids. We rode on the Muni, the main public transport, and were dropped off a few blocks away from Fisherman’s Wharf. Everyone was very tired by then, because we spent the entire ride standing, and had to walk a few blocks to get down to the Marina. But, the very second the water was in sight, the kids took off running and screaming. We weren’t quite sure what to do, so we just watched them. As they ran into the water, fully clothed, smiling, laughing, screaming, jumping, and splashing around, I realized that that is what I was there for. It was to witness a moment of true beauty.

I am a strong believer that beauty resides not only in a picture or a person, but in a moment. It is the moments that make us smile, laugh, and cry that empower us. Why do I say that everything is beautiful though? How do I know? I know because I can feel it. Beauty won’t always hit us between the eyes, like in a person, or a song. We have to work for it and seek it out, much like finding a positive in a terrible situation. I found that the things that scare us the most, might be the very things that keep us going. Someone once said that we need to “stop and smell the roses.” I think that is like finding beauty in everyday life. If we rush through the day, of course nothing is going to be beautiful: you never saw anything! Every day I have to find something beautiful, be it a smile from a friend, or something someone said. Beautiful things keep me going, and they also keep the world going. This I Believe.