Chelley - Centennial, Colorado

A Comforting Spirit

Lies…death…betrayal…fear…being alone. So much pain seeps into lives of people today, especially teenagers. Because the world has turned so vicious, I think it’s vital to be there for each other and to help one another to cope with the consequences of my actions and those of others’ actions. I try to remember that I can’t leave my friends and family alone in the world to suffer what it now brings. It is so important that I keep trying to comfort them and listen to what they have to say so no one has to face anything alone. I believe in the power of a comforting presence.

Recently I sat in the Denver Coliseum for a Revolve Tour that gave courage and spiritual guidance among many other blessings to thousands of girls who showed up. At one point in the day, the stage darkened and the noise of crew scuffling about was drowned by the noise of the crowd talking amongst themselves. Soon the stage was illuminated in colored lights and the drama team was in their positions and ready to begin their based-on-a-true-story skit. A teenager walked onto the set and sat on a couch opposite a therapist who sat in a cushioned chair. The girl was a cutter living in a breaking home and it was her mother’s doing that she was here. The therapist asked her a series of questions but not in the common way that makes the “patients” feel so belittled and alone. She spoke with comfort to let the girl know she wasn’t alone and that she could cry all she needed too here, even though her short-tempered father wouldn’t let her at home. She engulfed the hurting girl in a comforting embrace and held her as she cried. The girl considered coming back and felt as if she finally had permission to be herself. She now knew what she was doing was hurting her and that it wasn’t her job to save all her friends and keep peace in her home. The therapist said she’d work with her parents as well to see if she could improve the situation…and get the father some help with his anger and rage issues. Alison felt for the first time in a long time that she was finally free to begin recovery and assume the life of a normal 15 year old girl.

To me this was a perfect example of what a person with a compassionate and comforting spirit can do…how they can be such a friend to those who need someone to be there and share the troublesome burdens bestowed upon them. It got me thinking that we could change the world with this act of compassion and if we all got comforting spirits no one would feel alone during their times of need. Even if someone never fully understood their friend’s problem the friend wouldn’t be alone and this is why I believe in the power of a comforting spirit.