Melissa - Centennial, Colorado

This I Believe Essay

One thing that I believe in is treating other people with respect, being friendly, and being compassionate. One never knows how much they can affect someone else’s mood or perception of themselves, by one comment or gesture, whether it is good or bad. Being a fourteen-year-old girl in a large high school, I have had many experiences with this, good and bad. First, I think it is very important to treat others with respect. Being respectful is something that everyone deserves. For example, my teachers get the annoyed when we disrespect them by talking over them. They feel like we don’t care about learning, which is not true. Another example that reminds me to be respectful is that it hurts to be disrespected. The other day, these girls were talking about me behind my back, and I heard them. They were saying things that were very unfair and mean about me. I did not say anything to them, but was very upset because I thought they were my friends. However, it definitely reminded me to not gossip about other people. The next thing that I think is very important to practice everyday in life is being benign and friendly to others. Whenever I meet someone new or am around people like my friends, I try to act as pleasant and friendly to them as possible. Usually, they will act the same way back, and through that, I have made many new friends. Last, I believe I should be compassionate everyday. I never know when my random acts of kindness can impact someone else’s life. If you have ever heard the story about the boy that saved the other boy from committing suicide just by being a friend to him one day, then you will know what I am talking about. Everyday, I have the choice to either help someone out, or turn my back on them. I try to help other’s out, and in return, whenever I am in need, someone usually comes along and lends a hand to me too. Then, I am reminded of how good it feels to be cared about by other, compassionate people. Being respectful, friendly, and compassionate are three beliefs that alter who I am, in my everyday life.