Katie - Centennial, Colorado

I believe in the road less traveled by. I believe in the individual. I believe that each person has a choice, blend in or stand out. I stand out. I choose to stand out. It is important to stand out. Since fifth grade I have worn cargo camo pants with a book in the pocket, basketball shoes, and a hoodie. Why? Because I can. Because it is the road less traveled by. You always hear about kids who stand out and are picked on, that never happened to me. The only one who ever asked me about it was a kid I tutored in 8th grade. That’s IT! I figure that means one of three things: one, people just don’t care; two people respect what I am doing; three, I am not different enough to notice or question. I hope it is two but I am not sure. I high school, everyone has a group, that more you have, the more well known you are, the more you stand out. I am a smart-nerdy-orch-dork-drama kid. But, unfortunately, to most people I am “Pieter’s Little Sister”. My brother knows everyone; almost all my friends are his friends too. To most people, I am an extension of Pieter; people are always talking about how similar we are. This never ceases to make me angry because he has taken away who I am. So, I do my best to be different, and we are, people just don’t realize how much. Now I am in High School, I am trying to separate from my brother more. And so I joined the most erratic and weird club in the school: DRAMA! I felt accepted there, even though I felt that way most places. And I got even weirder, which was the goal. I met people who hadn’t met my brother (gasp) because he isn’t in drama. It was a good time; someone even said that I was the weirdest drama kid she had ever met. I know it seems weird but I take comments like that as compliments. This first year of High School has opened my eyes to how many people blend in and how many stand out. It is comforting that there are people who go against the norm too. More and more, people are changing the world do that it is weirder not to make a statement then to make a statement. The road less traveled by is becoming traveled by; soon, the road wanting wear will become a highway. And when that happens, I will become the opposite of that. It’s like the Poles- they switch but are always opposite. “Two roads diverged in a wood and I- I took the road less traveled by and that has made all the difference.”