Kristen - Centennial, Colorado

Random Acts of Kindness and Senseless Acts of Beauty

I have six cousins under the age of six. They are all different and unique from each other. But I am always fascinated to see my cousins doing good deeds for other people that an adult would never do. One day, I was helping my cousins build a sand castle at the pool and the oldest one (who is still only 5), went around and asked every single kid at the pool, whether she knew them or not, to help us build it. As a result, the sand castle ended being at least two feet tall.

As a kid, you are always told to share, and play nice, and help out whenever possible. When you went trick or treating, it was customary to share your Kit Kats with your little sister. When somebody dropped their crayon box, you automatically knew you should help them pick it up. I was bribed as a kid to do these things but nonetheless, we basically learned how to be good citizens of society. So how come little kids who can’t even understand multiplication, can be kinder than the grown-ups who have years of experience? It seems to me that sometimes as you get older, you sometimes forget that at times, everybody needs a little help. Adults sometimes get so caught up with their own lives that they get selfish and can’t think of anything except their own problems. A lot of them don’t understand what one act of kindness can do too brighten someone’s day, or even change their life. But when you reach out and do something simply because it’s the right thing to do, it can make all the difference. This is why I believe in random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

Not only is it inspiring for me to witness acts of beauty and kindness, but it is even more motivating when somebody does something nice for me just because they wanted to. Not only does it make me feel better, but I usually find myself doing good deeds for other people to sort of return the favor. And if the people I help help other people, it becomes a powerful chain of kindness that can eventually make the entire world a nicer and happier place.