Rachel - Castle Rock, Colorado

This I Believe: Every Personality is Necessary to This World

My experiences have led me to believe that no personality is more important or necessary to make the world go round. Take my personality for example: I am very practical, responsible, and determined. I get things done because it drives me crazy if I don’t or can’t. Most people would say that there is nothing wrong with being these things, but sometimes I wish that I were more understanding, outgoing, and unafraid to make a fool of myself. I wonder what life would be like if I were the person people came to when they were having a bad day and needed a hug, or if I wasn’t embarrassed to dress up for Halloween and go around town trick-or-treating with kids that are ten years younger than me. Would I be happier? Would I have even more friends? I wish I knew, but the truth is that I am pretty happy with who I am as it is. Personality isn’t about how we compare to other people, it’s about showing who we are. Yes, everyone has their flaws and unpleasant characteristics, but that doesn’t mean that we don’t need them in this world. After all, without the funny people, we wouldn’t be entertained. Without the driven people, we wouldn’t have progress in this world. Without the sensitive people, everyone would be full of emotions that would have no outlet. Basically, everyone needs everyone else and their quirky talents. Life would be boring if there weren’t a variety of personalities. In my group of friends, I have people who are understanding and will let me vent whenever I’m having a tough time, hilarious actors who make me laugh, smart friends who help me when I’m struggling in school, and so many others who are just there to support me and love on me because, for whatever reason, they think I’m worthy of hanging out with them. I am so lucky to have an eclectic group of friends with whom there is never a dull moment. It just goes to show that there is no personality that the world could live without. Not only would it be extremely dull, but the world just might stop spinning.