Edward - Voorhees, New Jersey
Themes: injustice

As a descendant of Africans brought to the Americas many hundreds of years ago, I believe it is inherent in the heart of those who’ve profited from their blood,sweat and tears, the desire to rectify this monstrous wrong. It is fair to say that the greatnesss of America would not be so were it not for that monumental contribution. The vast majority of my people are hoping that one day the conscience of America will allow it to pay some form of reparations to the surviving victims descendents. A popular monetary figure is hovering around the 400 trillion dollar mark, I believe,however that no monetary amount can even attempt to assuage the pain or the guilt felt by all parties concerned. Put yourself in their shoes for a moment and try to understand what they felt. To be taken from your homeland and forced to make a perilous voyage accross the vast ocean to an unfamiliar place. To have your culture beat out of you,and be shackled,chained and be made to work from sun up to sun down or as my grandmother used to say from can see to cain’t see, seven says a week. To be raped and murdered,lynched and branded,mutilated and molested. To be forced to assimilate,and then punished for trying to apply that same assimiliation. Yet I believe that it is not too late for America to rectify that past , to salve that hurt, to repair that wrong. Maybe we can start out with an apology, and work on from there. This democratic experiment has in it’s repertoire the capacity to remedy this travesty. To make this disenfranchised segment of it’s society whole again. I am no famous politician or statesman, nor am I some great or fantastic sportsman or entertainer. I am just an insignificant descendant of those who were great in their capacity to persevere and survive the unjustness of their lot in life. Even though the recent raping of the gulf coast Katrina survivors is a sad indication of the national intent. I am steadfast in my belief that the Collective American Conscience will overcome the vagaries of it’s government, and put right what has hertofore gone so terribly awry. So that it will once again be a proud thing to be called an American. THIS I BELIEVE.

Thank You