Rachel - Centennial, Colorado

“Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you.”(Dr. Seuss). Individualism is just about the greatest gift of all time. It leaves me free to do what I so boldly do, believe what I whole-heartedly believe. I believe in being weird and different; living life to the loudest, fullest it can be.

I have done many things on my account of weirdness. I have worn drug-free badges, fish flies for earrings, eaten cat food (which I highly regret); the list goes on. My friends are just as weird as I am. The other day, we were able to get a cell phone to dance on the cafeteria table. We’re loud, obnoxious, declared independent from normality, scary. But deep down, I know I know how to live, we know how to live, and we may be an example of what it’s like to roll around on the floor laughing so hard you swear you’re going to pee on yourself. Maybe it’s just a theater thing. I spend every third period Pledge of Allegiance being a different character. That’s what my philosophy is all about. The front quote in Fahrenheit 451 said “If they give you lined paper, write the other way.”(William Carlos Williams.) It’s about taking common ideas and seeing what you can do with them. And it gets you attention, amazingly enough. You wouldn’t believe the amount of people asked me what I was doing walking around with a sticky note on my forehead. This is my version of a fashion statement, and my way of life. I’m normally not an attention seeking kind of person, but that was cool. I can’t help thinking there’s at least one person out there who wonders, “What is it like to live like those freaks?” My advice for them is to try it, the freaks are usually inclusive and happily accept. I know my group does.

I believe being weird is one of the best ways to live life. Not everyone can say they know where an endorphin trigger spot is, or decorated their locker with Christmas lights…YEAR ROUND. And being an outcast gives you a sense of freedom to say what first comes to your brain without wondering what kind of reaction it will get because the other outcasts are the only ones that matter and they won’t mind. “You’re only given a little spark of madness. You mustn’t lose it.”(Robin Williams)