Peter - Centennial, Colorado

I believe that being wrong occasionally and not always getting what you want are both good things. These both may seem like bad things on the surface, but let me explain. While being wrong may be painful it is surely better than being right 110% of the time. If you are right each and every time you set to a task people tend to view you as unapproachable, physically and/or socially. In this manner a person would distance themselves from there community and eventually create a rift between themselves and the rest of humanity. The most renowned setting in which this occurs is in Charles Dickens’ character Ebenezer Scrooge. He was so financially successful that the community began to view him as unapproachable. He, in response became bitter and greedy, as his money was the one thing that would not (or could not) abandon him. This is obviously an extreme case but it is none the less plausible. In the end he shows his loving caring side and the community embraces him. What it took was a little kindness and a lot of humility. If a person does not always get what they want they will be less likely to expect it later. For example: If a child always gets vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce what will the child say when he/she receives only a bowl of vanilla, no chocolate sauce? In society it is simply not reasonable to expect that you will always get your way. The easiest way to teach someone this is to simply not give them what they want. If the person comes to expect that they will get what they want 100% of the time several terrible things can occur. I once knew a person who had, without fail, always received what they wanted. If you take this person and put them straight into our society they wouldn’t last 10 minutes. Everything from small businesses to our federal government are using compromise. If a person refuses to compromise then they will set themselves in the same quagmire as the person who is always right, simply by different means. They, instead of triumphing their way in, they will have whined their way in. Not many people can stand to be around people who whine when they do not get what they want. Most everyone wants things their way; it is the people who can take the realization that life is tough that way will always be more appreciated and accepted. They have the ability to drop their pride and admit that it isn’t always going to go their way. I believe that being wrong occasionally and not always getting what you want are both good things, but even more I believe that humility and compromise will get you farther than pride and stubbornness.