Aditya - Streamwood, Illinois

I believe that free will, and free will alone, is the writer of destiny.

This thought is my reason for getting up every day. It inspires great hope within me. To me, every new day holds an implicit promise. I believe that my every act, every word, every breath, has the power to write my life; and what I do with this power is up to me alone. This being true, I have the freedom to choose to live the life I wish to live, to make every day meaningful. On many days, I may fail; I may lose my way. But no matter what, I know that the path I walk is one that is of my own creation. I know that tomorrow is another day where I may walk freely. My life is in my hands, and I can make of it whatever I desire. True, I may have no idea where I will end up, much less whether or not there is a destination at all; but I will have the contentment of knowing that I did not fall into a life not of my own choosing. Each day brings new light.

Believing in this philosophy makes me feel infinitely hopeful, but the peaks of hope are matched by the valleys of desperation. My life is truly in my own hands. This means unlimited freedom and possibility, but it also means that there’s no God that I can count on to pick me up if I fall. If I lose the courage to live my life, then it’s all over; there exists no more hope. I will get nothing more out of life than the sheer guts, passion, and heart I put into it. It’s probably much easier to believe in a written fate and a definite God, but that is something I am unable to do. I have faith, but not in that. I need to add to my belief:

Free will is aided by the invisible hand of fate.

I believe in a spirit of love which connects us all and aids us each on our personal legends. From this comes a fate, not one written by God but rather collaged together by the wills of all people. I believe that this fate places many things, both good and bad, in our paths; however, it is left up to us to read the signs placed before us, to derive their meanings, and ultimately to write our destinies. Fate speaks, but it is up to me to listen. Fate may aid me, but only my free will can write my destiny. In the end, my life is my own, to live or to lose. I cannot fail to live; I cannot afford to lose.

When all is said and done, within my heart whirls an impassioned twilight of extreme hope and extreme desperation. From this comes a deep belief in myself and the fate that may guide my hand as I pen my own destiny and create something personally meaningful out of the legend of my life.

Above all else, this I believe.