Matt - Centennial, Colorado

During their lifetimes, most people have come to associate certain words with themselves that define who they are. For example, I have always thought of myself as an athlete, a scholar, a friend, a son, and a brother. When we find that these words suddenly no longer apply to us, it is easy to loose our sense of identity and suddenly feel lost in a big world with no idea who you are.

I experienced about of this recently, (I guess that an “expert” would diagnose it as depression) and basically felt that life was going down the drain. My hockey team was last place in the league, my grades were less than desirable, and all my friends seemed to be busy with other things. I would wake up, go to school, come home, go to hockey, come home, eat dinner, do my homework, and go to bed, only to repeat my routine the next day. I had no time to relax or enjoy myself, and I felt it.

That was when the big snowstorm hit. I don’t quite remember how high it was, but it was enough to close school, and that’s no average feat out here in Colorado. Since everything was closed down, I could stay home all day and play in the snow. I spent all day out there, just building snowmen and forts with my brother, who was four at the time. We must have been out there for a few hours when we got tired and just laid down in the snow and took a break. As laid there, my brother said, “That was fun. I wish it would snow more often, so we could play more.” These words hit me like a brick wall. It was then that I realized that not only was I making myself miserable by spreading myself too thin, but my family was also suffering. Now, my family means a lot to me, and I was not going to let this happen.

What do I believe? I believe in taking time out of your day to sit around and build snowmen. I believe that only you have the power to control your actions. I believe that your family is always there for you, no matter what, and that is your job to be there for them when they need you. I believe in the power of your family. This I believe.