jessica - va beach, Virginia

Live and Laugh

While watching movies or reading books I find lots of little quotes that stick out to me and I remember them. The one though that sticks out the most to me is from the movie Garden State. The quote goes “If you can’t laugh at yourself, life’s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you like.”

I believe this , I believe that in order for life not to seem so bad or drag on I need to laugh things off . This is a philosophy that I have found works for big things in life and even just everyday mishaps as well. One of the smaller examples was in my last year of high school, in physics, I had to build a car that was powered only by a mouse trap.

This should have been a simple in class project. All we had to do was put wheels and axels on a mouse trap, attach a string from the mouse trap to one of the axels, set the mouse trap off and watch it move forward. Though no matter what my partner and I did we just could not seem to get the little car to move forward. My partners stress level was on the rise while our teacher was trying to help us salvage what was left of our little mouse trap car when I just started to laugh.

This of coarse my partner didn’t get and she asked me what I thought was so funny. I told her that I was laughing because we are taking this to seriously, it’s just a little mouse car that all we really needed to do to get the credit for was actually try to build it. It didn’t matter if it moved but we still let it consume us and stress us out. That it was not that important and I was just laughing it off. I was simply just reevaluating the situation and realized it wasn’t worth the stress. My partner on the other hand did not think it was funny so she continued on stressed about the whole thing and I enjoyed what we had left of the project because I had laughed it off.

This is a big stress reliever for me and helps me because it prevents me from making something more than it has to be. It takes what ever situation I am in and helps me find a way through it and that is why I believe that in order for life not to seem so bad or drag on I need to laugh things off.