Stephanie - Virginia Beach, Virginia

First impressions are everything, and a smiling person could leave a positive impact on someone without even realizing it. Having a straight face with no emotion may intimidate a person, or if a person walks around upset about something, they make themselves more unapproachable. Letting a bad situation get the best of a person can be very stressful and make them negative about their life. A person can go through many situations, both good and bad. If a person can keep a smile on through a bad situation, it may help get through it. I believe constant smiling will eventually make a person become happier.

Last summer I was working in a restaurant on the beach, for four days straight on eight-hour shifts each. I was constantly on my feet, running from the kitchen to the restaurant serving my demanding customers. That last day of work before I had off for the weekend, I thought would be the hardest to get through. After forcing myself out of bed and driving to work, I decided instead of dragging myself through the eight hours, I would maintain a smile while serving my customers. After clocking in, I made my way upstairs, saying good morning to all my coworkers and asking them how they were, with a smile. I got both good and bad responses because like me, some of my coworkers had to experience these endless hours.

Throughout the day, I kept a relentless smile and a positive attitude, which unknowingly made an impact on someone else. One of my coworkers was experiencing the same drainage I was that day. She had been working for six days straight because they were low on staff in the kitchen. She approached me before she left to go home and asked why I was having such a good day. I explained to her what I did, that instead of dreading the shift, I turned it into something positive by smiling all day. She admired they way I handled the situation by not letting it get the best of me and it made her feel better by seeing the joy I had in working that day.

By being in a good mood and taking a situation and turning it into something positive, can have an impact on that person and everyone around them. Knowing that I can make someone’s day better by just smiling proves this. Since then, when I feel a bad day coming on, I simply smile to get through it and at the end of the day; I am truly in a better mood.