Gregory - 23321, Virginia

I believe that a little laughter can cure someone’s sorrows. It’s the medicine the doctor ordered for even the most acute depression. As someone who loves to make others around me smile and laugh, it has been in my experience that laughter can cheer up any one in a sad mood.

Laura and I have been best friends since the beginning of high school. She and I tell each other everything and sometimes it feels like we know the other better than they do. She and I ended up going to separate colleges, but we keep in contact on a regular bases. One night I received a phone call from her while I was in my dorm. I realized immediately from the sound of her voice that something wasn’t right. As I asked her what was wrong, she began to burst into tears. I could barely understand what she was saying, but I got that a guy was the cause of her agony. Earlier that day she had asked the guy that she likes if he would like to go out to dinner. He had been giving obvious hints that he liked her as well so she was ready to see if there was a possibility for a relationship. He didn’t give her the answer she was looking for. He turned and told her that he and his “X” still had feelings for each other. Laura is a very strong willed woman and normally doesn’t let boys get in her way. Hearing her cry over heart break made me feel helpless. I wanted to give her a hug, but that was impossible with 150 miles between us. I was determined to comfort her and cheer her up. I decided to tell her about some hilarious situations that involved me and some people from our high school. The past week we were in a parking having a dance party in my mini van to the radio. All of a sudden this little light starts circling the van. We freak out when we realized it was a cop on a bicycle. We had a hard time explaining to him that we were just dancing around in my car. Well he ended up doing back ground checks on all of us until he finally let us go.

Before I knew it, I had her crying again. Not from depression, but from laughing so hard. We talked for an hour of nothing but more embarrassing stories. Her mood was completely changed. When we hung up the phone that night, I knew she was smiling and her troubles were at lest temporarily gone.

Laughter is like a pain reliever. The right kind and the right amount can give you the temporarily relief from your pain. It’s easy to swallow or chew and is fast acting. You can even get it in extra strength for when the pain almost feels unbearable. I believe laughter is the cure to sorrow.