Joshua - Elberon, Virginia

I used to think that everything my parents told me was for no apparent reason. Now that I am on my own, I can start to hear the commands from them in my head telling me of all the annoying advice they used to stress to me when I was growing up. I realize now that the annoying advice they shoved in my face over and over again has helped me to appreciate those words of wisdom more and more. I believe that growing up with good influences will give way to a positive future.

Until now, I would say that my statement was a valid one. As a successful honor graduate, I can proudly say that I am the first of my family to graduate high school with honors and now I am on my way to becoming the first to graduate college with honors. But wait a minute, none of this would have been possible if somebody had been there telling me to do my homework and study ahead. A person who has grown up in a home that influences hard work and perseverance has a much better chance to become successful.

Parents who stay on their kids and explain to them why it’s important to do good in school will find out that their constant advice will pay off and in the end, your child will appreciate it. I can say this because my parents strained the significance of completing my work. To do this, they would tell me over and over again until I got it done. I can still remember the tired but sincere look on my mom’s face when she raised her voice at me. Most of the time, I knew what she was going to say before she even said it, but I pretended like I never heard it before just to make her feel like she was saying something important. Her continuous lecturing has contributed to my success because she has told me the same thing so many times that I can still hear her advice in my head.

Now I see why my parents kept on my case about studying and getting my work done. All their squabbling and what I thought was an annoyance has helped me to become the person I am today: a high school honor graduate and a first year college freshman. I feel that these accomplishments are a result of growing up in a positively influenced household. Now, I heed to the advice my parents continued to stress growing up. I believe that growing up with good influences will give way to a positive future. Any parent that emphasizes good attributes to their children will find out that they are not wasting their time.