Deanazha - Norfolk, Virginia

Have you ever heard the saying its better to give than receive? Giving for me has always been uplifting and left a satisfying fulfillment. Even though at times, I would second guess whether to give, I never let that come in the way of it. I’ve learned that not everyone is as fortunate as others and if they‘re in need why not give. I believe giving money to everyone who asks is like nature, full of surprises.

Every year around the Christmas holiday, you could heart the bells ringing by the goodwill. But they’re not the only people who stand there hoping that those individuals that walk by would give a contribution. Often you’d see homeless people who stand on the corner or in front of a popular store asking for spear change to drop in their cup or bowl. Each time you step in or out the door there’s the rattle of the can with change inside. Growing up, I was taught that giving was always better than receiving. For me giving has always been easy, as long as I knew it was for a good cause. My grandmother taught me that sometimes you are given a test by God, when those less fortunate hold their hand out for your help.

There have been many times through out my life where I was put in a situation to give but one in particular. I had just pulled into the gas station to put gas in my car. Just as I reached for my purse there was a tap on my window. I looked up and it was a woman with a desperate look on her face. It was scorching hot that day so hot your clothes stuck to you. As I rolled the window I could see the sweat pour down her face and that she had five dollars in her hand. The woman did not look homeless at all so I quickly assumed she needed change. I said “yes” as I continued to roll down the window.

“I have this five dollars that I washed and I need to put gas in the car but I am not sure whether they would take it but do you have two dollars” she replied.

She asked for not only one but two dollars. I felt sympathy for her, so I willingly gave her the money. I don’t know if I was feeling generous or just felt sorry for her but there was no excuse for me not to help, especially if I had it to give. She later came out with a drink in her left hand. It made me think did she use the money for gas or the bottle of soda to quince her thirst. Once it was all over, I felt good about myself, you never know how giving can make you feel or how it can help a person. Throughout my experience, I have learned that when giving, it’s your decision to make the judgment call.