Kim - wichita, Kansas

I Believe in Vacuuming

Two months ago, my father came home from a vacation in Vietnam. I immediately turned on my vacuum. The next few hours I spent in blissful white noise. I believe that the act of vacuuming is beautiful.

Carpet retains the personality of a family; it retains stains, dead skin, and DNA. Carpet is apart of my environment and my environment is what shapes my life. My life is beneath my feet as I walk through the hallways of my home. I believe that the purging of any evidence of my family from my carpet is beautiful.

I used to hate the act of vacuuming. Before, our family used an old vacuum with bags. The dirt would be tucked away in the corner of our home in form of a vacuum bag. Those bags would accumulate for months even years. To this date, I am still uncertain whether or not anyone in my family knew how to dispose of a vacuum bag.

Another negative to our old vacuum was the fact that I could not control what it picked up. The brush roll was so full of thread and hair it held grudges against my cleaning. As I vacuumed it would skip over the large issues of crumbs and instead pick up the unimportant particles. The expression “choose your battles” is brought up to mind. Disgustingly, I would sometimes take an exact-o knife and roll of tape to my carpet.

After we bought our new bag less vacuum, the once fruitless task of erasing my family became something worth while. Because I could dispose of the evidence of DNA from my carpet I felt a new freedom. Though the brush roll still does accumulate hair and thread, I often cut away resentful threads.

Not only is purging of the family dirt beautiful but the genuine act of vacuuming is also beautiful. The hum of the machine becomes a blanket for my ears, blocking me from my environment as I clean my environment. The lines that the vacuum makes in my carpet are beautiful to me. Every new line is a change in my carpet, my environment, my life. With the Vacuum, I have tools to forgive my family of their dirt. With the vacuum I am able to achieve an act, that I believe, is beautiful.