Natasha - Coshocton, Ohio

I believe there is more to life than beauty.

I was brushing my hair one day when a huge chunk of hair just fell into my hands, and bruises took over my body. All of this because I wanted to be thin like the models on television. The color of my skin was gray and dark circles surrounded my eyes. I was nineteen when I became anorexic; it lasted for two years. I lost so much hair that I had to pull my hair up into a pony tail because my scalp was showing. The disease also weakened my teeth causing me to develop a couple of cavities. I lost forty five pounds in less than two months and went from a size nine to a size one. My spinal cord stuck out so much that when I did set-ups I became bruised.

In the world today girls are faced with thin models on television, billboards and in magazines. Most of these thin models suffers from eating disorders themselves or are digitally proportioned on magazine covers to represent the perfect figure. We learn very quickly that thinness is beautiful and the thinner we are the more beautiful we will be. However, I believe that beauty and thinness is not the most important aspect in life. I believe that beauty comes from within; beauty is made up of personality, character and morals that a person holds within.

When I was anorexic I would eat one bowl of cereal a day and if I ate something fattening like a six inch sub from subway then I wouldn’t eat anything the next day. I became obsessed with fat free foods and would not eat anything but. I would look in the mirror at my body and it was like looking in one of those mirrors at a maze in which my body looked disproportioned. My parents didn’t realize how sick I was until I went to my doctor and he told them that if I didn’t start eating that I would eventually die. After the doctors visit I had a really hard time trying to get myself to eat. Every time that I would eat I would become sick to my stomach with major abdominal pain because my stomach had shrunk so much; I wasn’t use to eating food. However, I decided that being thin wasn’t worth dying for, so I had to start eating whether I wanted to or not. Finally after two years I have gained weight, started eating healthier and decided that being skinny is not who I am.

Society convinces us that being thin will increase the happiness in our lives, when in reality it only makes us sick and paranoid about our bodies. I believe that beauty comes from within. It is a person’s attitude towards life and the personality that determines who we are, not our appearances. I believe that everyone is beautiful, and we just need to look at everyone individually to see the beauty shine.