Emily - Galway, New York

When I was confronted with the question, What do you Believe? ,My mind was set into a tizzy. I thought about believing in something that would cure world hunger or fix the ozone layer. I thought about believing in material things that could be found in stores and I thought about believing in ways to save the world. I tried to think of many intellectual things, but what it came down to was that I believed in the small “stuff.”

The small “stuff”, not anything that would solve the world’s problems or fix the ozone; but I believe in smiles, hugs, small talk with someone that is sitting next to you on the bus or standing next to you in the elevator, laughter, inside jokes, memories and the pure joy on children’s faces.

To me I don’t think money, broken appliances and making sure everything looks and is perfect holds quite as much value as the small things in life.

Have you ever seen the look of pure joy on a child’s face? Well I have and it wasn’t from material things or making sure everything was perfect, but it was from finding out what the wind felt like on their cheeks, the things that was found under the rock in the woods, or realizing that when you jump in puddles on a rainy day the water splashes back up at you.

Maybe when talking about the small things the first thing that comes to mind are the children because as we grow up we forget about those things. The sense of innocence is lost and with it goes the small things. Adults tend to forget to stop and smell the roses, or spend a weekend with the family not because they don’t want to, but because the small things get stuck in the cracks of the big things. To the children through, the small stuff in our lives are the big things in their lives.

So I just ask you this, stop once and awhile and remember to slow down and remember to smile, laugh and love every minute of life. Try not to worry about money or what the paint looks like on the house as much as you usually would. Remember to slow down, and maybe the small “stuff” will just come to you naturally because the small things are actually always there in your life. After all when you look back on it, it is the small stuff that build that one big thing…your life! And this is what I really do believe.