Jack - Gilbert, Arizona
Themes: family, hope, love

This i believe

i believe in miracles

My mother died one year ago around thanksgiving. She was 67 years old and suffered from weak lungs and general poor health. She was a hero to me and my brother and was the most loving person I have ever known in my life.

When I was 4 years old my father took my 7 year old brother and I to a park outside of kansas city, mo to let us burn off some energy. My mother was in a local hospital and the doctors had just told my dad that his wife had months to live and that she would not come home from the hospital. She had been diagnosed with an aggressive kidney disease which had destroyed one of her kidneys and damaged the other severely. This was the 1960’s and there were no kidney transplants and even dialysis was risky. I don’t remember, but often wonder how my dad told us our mom was sick. My father was a baptist preacher and my mother had been raised by a baptist preacher and so faith and prayer was an important part of our lives. The doctors told my father that my mom’s life was in the hands of God and they could do no more. The small community of Lone Jack that held my mother in their hearts so dearly began to pray fervently for my mother. Though she was a kind and generous person, my mother also had a tremendous will. She told my father that Jesus had come to her in a vision and that she told him she had two young boys that she had to raise. She came home a few weeks later and though she was

on lots of medications and a strict diet, her tremendous faith and will kept her alive for another 20 years before what was left of her remaining kidney gave out. She again had to fall back on her faith… and her sister. Her sister Janet donated a kidney for one of the first kidney transplants in Oklahoma. They even put her on TV and billboards with other kidney transplant survivors in Oklahoma. She lived another 20 years and got to see her sons raised, her granddaughter and grandson born and even had the joy of sharing her last days with her two year old great granddaughter Kyla.

I don’t think that I would have turned out the way I did if I hadn’t had those extra years with my

mom there for me. She taught me to hope, to love and that I could do anything my heart desired.

So, I believe in miracles, because I saw one for myself. A miracle of faith, love and a tremendous will that gave me 40 extra years with someone that was my role model for life.