Jenna - Virginia Beach, Virginia

Dancing Sugar Plums

I love green pointy trees. I love rainbow lighted roofs. I love snowman cookie

cutters and little men with jingle bells on their toes. I love the idea of family gatherings with hot cocoa and dry fruit cake. I love that time of year when the smallest glimpse of a snow flurry lights up a child’s eyes. I get excited just thinking about it and can’t wait until the turkey and cranberry are put away and the countdown begins. Christmas has always been full of wonderful memories for me. It’s a season of giving, of kindness, of merriment. It’s a time of togetherness, when family living rooms are occupied by cheerful hearts and warming smiles.

In my family, the most favored tradition is the Christmas cookies. Every year my grandmother, mother and I pile into the kitchen, fire up the oven and bake holiday sweets all day long. Cookie cutters, food coloring, sprinkles, flour and dough are spread out for what seems a mile on the kitchen counter tops. An assembly line of mixing, dropping and cutting leads into the afternoon. The final result, a plate full of snowflakes, Santas, snowmen and Christmas trees. Let us not forget the gingerbread house. Usually, there are two of them: one on the center island in the kitchen, and the other, a porcelain replica tucked behind garland and ribbon on the mantle.

In addition to my family’s trimmings, I enjoy all the sights and sounds of the holiday season. I love driving around at night looking at the Christmas lights and the neighborly competition they bring. I love the idea of hiding boxes in shiny paper and keeping their contents a secret. I love the overflowed mailbox of Christmas cards and the comical pictures of kids, terrified of sitting on a jolly fat mans lap. I love the tradition of watching “A Christmas Story,” followed by a big slice of pecan pie and a cup of coffee. I love the train that runs at the skirt of the Christmas tree, the family event of hanging ornaments, the tangy spices in eggnog and the Christmas carols that can be heard in every department store. But most of all, I love that Christmas is the season of giving. It often makes me wonder, why is it only at Christmas time that we see a man ringing a bell for charity outside the local Kmart. Why is it that only at Christmas, we are asked to purchase clothes and toys for orphans and the homeless? Why do cheerful hearts and warming smiles end when then tinsels all put away and the snow melts? I love this holiday because it’s known as the “Season of giving.” I love this holiday because it represents how I try to live daily. Christmas is a time of joyful sentiments, of blessings and good tidings. It’s my favorite time of year, the place where most of my fondest memories live. I believe in the spirit of Christmas.