Donna - Wichita, Kansas

All throughout my life I have met all different kinds of people. People of different race, religiong, personalities, and talent. Those that stick out in my mind are the ones who I had the best relationships with and those who were always there for me when I needed something. I believe in the power of relationships.

I go to one of the largest schools in my state, so just walking down the hall everyday I see people that look as if they want a shoulder to cry on or someone to just be there and help them with what they are going through. This makes me sad because it makes me wonder if they have any good friends that wouldn’t mind if they cried on their shoulder. I am too afraid to walk up to stranger and ask them what is wrong, but I believe that those closest to the person would be of better help than I would. There is a song called “Concrete Angel” by Martina McBride that is about a little girl who is abused by her mother, but when she goes to school and the teacher sees her bruises, she doesn’t say anything. I think that if something like that is going on in a young person’s life , then it should be reported because in that story those beatings killed the little girl. The relationship between a teacher and a student should be one of trust and not one of ignorance.

I have a friend who has recently lost many of her friends. The girl that died had lukemia and the two boys died most recently in a fatal car crash. This has all happened

within two months and I have no idea how she handles it, but I do know that if I am there to comfort her when she needs it most, then I have at least helped her a little in showing that my relationship with her is one of trust and that I am there for her when she needs it. If no one was there to comfort her through this tough spot in her life, I think that she would not get through it. People need support from their friends and family. If no one had been around when my grandpa died, I probably would have become depressed, but since my friends and family were there to help me through it, my emotions are more stablized. The relationships I have between my family and friends are bonds that I hope are never broken. I truly believe in the power of relationships.