Kaitlyn - Wichita, Kansas

Determination Brings Success

After 1918 the Boston Red Sox became a cursed team. As their fans slowly left, their empire crumbled. For eighty-six years the Red Sox were laughed at when it came to the World Series, and for eighty-six years they worked hard only to lose. Finally in 2004, against all odds, the Red Sox swept the World Series, bringing an end to their curse. Through their determination the Red Sox achieved success. This philosophy of “try-try- again” is one that I hold as a personal belief.

In my life there have been many times when I have wanted to just give up. But with the thought of the Red Sox amazing victory in ’04 I have persevered and improved myself as a person. One example is my writing skills. If you have not noticed yet, I am not the best writer ever; in fact, I used to be even worse that I am now. But I have yet to give in and stop trying to write my best. The determination of the Red Sox has been an inspiration for me to keep trying in everything at which I fail.

Boston was thought of as a team of cursed losers for the better part of a century. Nobody, not the media, their fans, or even my freshman English teacher thought they could win the World Series. This mindset of the country was one motivation for the success of the Red Sox. Motivations, such as insults or a lack of belief from others, can have a huge impact on the determination of anyone. The same thing happened with me and an English teacher of mine who did not believe in my ability to write well. I now have a writing tutor because this teacher of mine decided that instead of helping me improve my skills, or lack thereof, she would just give me C’s and D’s. Every week I go to the book store/cafe to improve myself and work towards that A+ paper and part of me goes every week just to prove that teacher wrong.

The Boston Red Sox had no chance of winning the World Series of 2004, but they did. They did because they were determined and their determination brought their success. The Red Sox have taught me many things, the most important of which is to persevere, because with enough determination anything is possible.