Alexander - Wichita, Kansas

My stated belief is treating people with kindness and respect. This not only is morally correct but also reaps benefits. Seemingly small things can provide kindness and respect at a larger scale. Countless “small” actions such as lending a dollar to someone at the grocery line, picking up possessions someone dropped, or offering directions can create a snowball effect. It’s reasonable to assume that treating someone with this kind of behavior will make them more inclined to treat another with the same care or respect. This chain continues in a long pattern each with a small act of kindness. Yet these add up to create a beneficial and helpful society. Progress for humanity is spurred by people helping each other. The old concept of teamwork can be put in place as working together can accomplish goals, goals society can achieve as a large team. Many examples are made known to me including a credit card commercial of all things. It begins with a man picking up a toy dropped by a child in a stroller. The mother obviously touched by this act continues in helping out a woman who has dropped her belongings. The woman continues in helping someone else and so on until the last person helps out the original man by picking up his daughter’s dropped toy. Although for an advertisement purpose this commercial had a profound effect on me. It showed me this possible chain created from kindness and even how the chain can lead back to people and benefit them. Each person set an example for the other person and motivated them to continue to treat others with kindness and respect. I even tried this out for myself. At Dillion’s grocery store a customer ahead of me was short fifty cents in cash, I took the liberty of taking care of the small amount and clearly she was pleased at my charity. Another time at the store I ended up short in change and was compensated by a customer in line. Whether there was a connection between the events is unlikely yet still I showed respect and kindness and in turn received it. Looking at our world and collectively helping to improve it instead of thinking for an individual’s benefit could have boundless rewards.