Kristen - Wichita, Kansas
Themes: change, hope

Last Tuesday morning, I woke up late, forgot my lunch, got stuck in traffic and left my car lights on. Walking into my first class huffy and irritated, a friend greeted me with a huge smile and a warm ‘hello’. I thought to myself, “I guess today won’t be so bad”. After such an awful morning, I was surprised when my ill feelings suddenly went away. Because I changed my attitude from negative to positive, my day improved greatly. Telling yourself to expect better things can transform a horrible situation to an enjoyable one.

I believe that having an optimistic attitude can push one to disregard any minor doubts, qualms, or uncertainties that could prevent good things from happening. Helen Keller stated, “Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement; nothing can be done without hope”. Being able to adapt a positive attitude allows for the hope of something better, which then leads to action. In the company of great ideas and wishful thinking, many great things can be accomplished.

Cognitive psychology also says that being optimistic can actually change someone’s actions. Psychologists have proposed that optimistic people are able to achieve more. Through experiments, he proved that being optimistic would have a positive outcome on one’s actions and behaviors. It is a phenomenon that allows an individual to think to himself or herself what they want, and then make it happen.

In my opinion, pessimism is eliminating all alternatives. It is saying that there is only one option, and that is only to not fail. But most great ideas need faith and a hopeful attitude. But by not hoping for anything special, you are subjecting yourself to complacency and mediocrity. For example, if I decided to only get the minimum GPA to pass high school, there would be no sense of reward, pride or fulfillment. I would rather expect a lot of myself and be slightly disappointed, rather than settling.

So I choose to stay happy and optimistic. Rather than saying, “I can’t”, I will always say, “I’ll try”. I believe that everything is better looking through the glass half full. I hope to one day accomplish great things, and I keep telling myself that.