Margaret - Wichita, Kansas

A Passion in Life

One of the things that I most enjoy about talking to other people is seeing their eyes light up whenever they talk about something they love. Unfortunately, I don’t have that opportunity very often. Sure, I see people at school talking to their friends, “Oh my gosh! I love that song!” or “I love soccer – I watched the World Cup everyday this summer!” Nevertheless, the light that appears in their eyes isn’t quite the same. When prompted to talk about their passion, people change within an instant; a unique glint materializes in their eyes and creates a glow around them. I believe in having such a passion in life. I believe in living for something that, without it, would make life incomplete.

For me, that passion is music. I love all aspects of music – composing, listening, and most of all, making it. I cannot imagine my life without the influences of music – none of the logic, none of the fun, none of the emotion, none of the power of creating something so influential. One of my conductors epitomized my attitude towards music in a rehearsal when he stated that “Music is Life, and Life is Music.” Before that moment, music was something that I loved, but his statement created a motto for me to develop my passion by.

I don’t know how to effectively express why I love music. I love the goosebumps that I get while listening to a particularly climatic moment in a piece. I enjoy creating a universal language of emotion when I play. That’s the best part of music. No matter where you are or who you’re with, music is a language that can be used to convey ideas and emotions. I had the great opportunity to sing in the chorus of my favorite opera is Carmina Burana several years ago. Although I have no idea of what the opera is about since it is not in English, I love the emotions that it conveys and the ways in which the composer does so. I also love the satisfaction of performing for others and helping them understand what the music conveys. One of the best feelings in the world is looking from the back of a symphonic orchestra and seeing and hearing everyone in the symphony operating as one unit. The whole stage is buzzing with the energy and emotion of the music. It’s indescribable.

It’s feelings like these that illustrate my passion for music. I can feel my eyes light up and my whole demeanor change; no matter how much of a bad day I am having, I can’t help but love music rehearsals. Like my conductor said, Life is my Music and Music is my Life. I believe in such having a passion to enrich my life. Music is my passion, what I live for. I enjoy sharing it with other people and I’ll always be on the lookout for that particular glint which tells me that someone is sharing their passion with me.