Elizabeth - Wichita, Kansas

I Believe…

Several people around the world participate in sports of many different kinds. But what motivates them? What gives them the drive to push themselves further than their body wants to allow? Why do they continue? And, in what way do they benefit from playing?

I believe that I, among other athletes, have a special ability, a certain characteristic that other people do not possess. The will to succeed plays a major role in inspiring me to move forward. Competitors also have tremendous stamina and have a great addiction to competition. I have acquired this stamina to make myself better compared to how I was and how the people around me are. I have also attained the love, the need of competition. The best feeling in the world is obtained when I compete and finish on top. In my case, my teams are right there with me winning, celebrating, and achieving the ultimate feeling: the ultimate feeling of victory. The goal of that sensation is what makes me push myself further than my body wants to allow. The physical pain I put myself through in order to be victorious can not even compare to the emotional pain I would feel if giving up even crossed my mind. I would let my team down, my coaches down, and myself down if I did not push myself pass the limits that my body sets. My mind is much stronger than my body, therefore I force myself to push as far as possible.

Aside from that, sports have taught me life lessons and will continue to benefit me through learning. For example, I have been trained to be early because if I am on time I am late and so being early is always a brilliant idea. In addition, sports have taught me time management, as well as, never giving up. I have also learned of things such as trust. Trusting my teammates to pull me through and to help me pull others through tough times, for example losses or even consequences, has proved successful and worthy. Teammates from a few of my teams have turned out to be some of my best friends and some of my coaches have turned out to be some of the best people I have ever met.

In conclusion, I do believe that athletes like myself possess a specific quality that enables me to push myself through tough times and to always come out on top whatever it is that I do. The journey to discovering this has enabled me to find out who I am, and I have met great people along the way.