Andrew - Wichita, Kansas

Many youngsters have driven or will drive recklessly at one time or another, but what distinguishes them is this: frequency and bad judgment. Bad judgment varies anywhere from driving the wrong way on a one-way street to trying to pull a stunt. Many of these bad judgment calls will or have ended up with car damages or someone being hurt or killed. Of course, there are plenty of exceptions, but with the thousands of deaths and injuries from reckless driving every year, why do people continue to drive so carelessly? It’s because those behind the wheel are irresponsible and aren’t ready to be on the road. I believe that reckless drivers shouldn’t be given the opportunity to get behind the wheel until they are mentally, emotionally, and physically mature enough to make better judgment calls.

I’m no different from the average teenager that wants to drive as soon as possible, and get a car when they turn sixteen, but after what my sister showed me, I don’t feel that way anymore. About four years ago, my sister had just received her license. She had harped on my parents for months to get her a car too. She, being the only daughter in the family, finally got what she wanted, but my parents later regretted it.

My family takes piano lessons from this elderly woman, and my overconfident sister took my brother and I there. My sister had dropped us off and gone somewhere in my mother’s Millenia. She was supposed to return prior to the end of the lessons, but she didn’t. After a couple of hours, my father pulled up to the house. He rushed inside and said that my sister had been in a collision. We drove over to the site and my sister had rammed into a city bus, totaling the Millenia. Apparently, she was following the bus when it began to slow down so she wanted to change lanes. Without looking ahead, she sped up to pass a vehicle and rammed straight into the bus. My sister had the opportunity to slow down, but she refused and thought she could gamble with her life. Luckily, no one was injured, but it was still quite unintelligent. I knew giving her a car and license so early was a foolish idea.

Following the incident, my parents limited her driving and took her car away, but that wasn’t enough. Within roughly a year after that, she got into two more collisions and totaled her car. She, like many youngsters today, was not mature enough to handle the driving task.

Her bad judgment changed my view on driving forever. If adults keep giving into their children’s demands when they are not ready, these things are bound to happen. I believe that her, and people that drive just as, if not more recklessly than her, should be taken off the road altogether until they are mature enough to handle the driving task.