Derek - Wichita, Kansas
Themes: place, pleasure

Finding a “Happy Place”

One of my loves in life is sports. Whether it be basketball, football, baseball, or whatever, I try to keep up with the recent news and statistics. Being a fan of sports, especially football, any chance I have to attend a game I seize the opportunity.

My all time favorite place to go is Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City. The sea of red in the stands, the green grass on the field, and the sights and sounds of the game draw me in. Every time I go, I marvel at not only the athletic ability of the players, but at how I feel at home in the stadium on game day.

In the stands (the upper deck, of course), I am surrounded by people with the same passion for the Kansas City Chiefs and football as myself. There, I can yell as loud as I want and be in a place where I feel comfortable; my home away from home; my “happy place.”

I believe that everyone should have a place they can go where they can be around others with the same loves and feel at home. Everyone should strive to find a place to go and relax and enjoy the atmosphere.

When I am in a good mood, Arrowhead stadium is a great place to be, as the environment calls for enthusiasm and joy. But I also need a place not quite so far away where I can go to be alone and think about things and release all the negative.

In those situations, I go to a quiet place and think about where I would like to be, somewhere like in front of the CD player in my car. There, I can choose the music to fit my mood and really listen to the words and concentrate on their meaning while I cruise down the highway. Although I can not be in my car every time I am upset or stressed, I can look back on the things I have heard and understood from times before and apply them to my situation.

I believe everyone should find two places where they are comfortable: one surrounded by others, and one away from the stress and chaos of society and life. Finding places like these can be hard, but will lead to a relief of the burden of life for at least a little while.