Adam - Newark, Ohio

From the time I was very little, my parents instilled upon me a respect of my elders, as well as a sense of honor. They told me that you must always be honorable in your actions, because the things that you do will show the world not only the kind of person you wasn’t to become, but the kind of family that I came from. They told me the best way to measure someone was by their moral code. As I got older, my idea of honor changed.

From my history lessons in college, I learned of the mighty Japanese Samurai and their Bushido, or code of honor. Their sense of honor was so absolute that they were willing to die for their masters. This inspired me to be a man of absolute honor, and I began to adhere to my own personal code of honor.

You might be wondering, what is my code of honor. While it has one name, for me, honor has many forms. It means that I don’t lie, cheat or steal. I show respect to all nationalities, colors, and creeds, as well as those who have more experience in life than I do. I especially show respect to the opposite sex, and practice chivalry whenever possible. Honor demands that I help others in their tasks, even if I don’t care for them, and that I protect those around me, even though I may not even know them. It also demands my undying loyalty to my family, friends, and my country. To betray my family, friends, country would be a fate worse than death.

It was my code of honor that eventually led me to join the United States Army. Yes, I joined to get a scholarship to go to school, but I also did it because my sense of honor told me that I needed to do my part. So many fine men and women had done their part to defend the cause of freedom, and I wanted to as well. Honor is actually one of the seven core values of the Army, and I wear them each time I put on my country’s uniform. While I’m scared to go defend my country and maybe even die doing so, I will bring honor to myself, my family and my country. It is my belief that there is no greater way for me to die than to die fighting the good fight, in the heat of battle.

In the end, I am a simple man. I don’t want lots of money, cars, or fame. I just want to be an honest, heard working man who is loyal to his name and provides for his family. I want to be remembered as a man who stood up for what was the right thing to do, like the once mighty Japanese Samurai. Honor is my pillar, and in this, I do believe