Jessie - Wichita, Kansas

Music, you could say, is my life; just ask my English teacher, who every time we have a creative writing assignment gets to read about a new artist that I have found and fallen in love with, but lucky for you it is not just music that I believe has changed me, it is was music has helped me discover. I believe that being yourself, at all times, is the key to happiness, and the fulfillment of life.

When I started middle school, around the year 2001, my favorite band, *Nsync was on the verge of becoming uncool; so I decided to stop my constant playing of the latest CD, Celebrity, and start listening to other music, more popular music. I essentially thought that changing my taste would make me a more trendy person, but as I learned later that change only made me a clone of everyone else. Throughout middle school I continued to stick to the “normal” styles of music that were popular in my classes. Until one day, around the middle of eighth grade, I meet a new student, a conversation broke out, and some how we got started on the topic of music. Along the way she mentioned to me that she was a secret fan of *Nsync. My initial reaction as shock, which of course made her feel very awkward and embarrassed, until I admitted that I myself was a closet *Nsync fan too, I thought there was none of us left in the world. From that moment on we bonded and are still friends to this day. That day I got home from school and immediately played my old *Nsync CD, after wiping off all the dust of course, and with my new enlightened look on life began looking for alternative styles of music that I liked, regardless if it was popular or not. This has transpired into my “eclectic musical style” as my friends say, and has changed my whole meaning of life. Because of this magical bond that I had with this new girl in school I learned that I was not defined by what other people thought of me. I’m not a perfect match to the average teenager, I am my own individual and I make my own decisions. Through music I have learned to love myself and to be different without a care for what people think.