Marcella - Tempe, Arizona
Themes: birth, parenthood

Why Didn’t Anyone Tell Me?

I believe in looking for the positive things in life. With every situation that comes at me, I try my hardest to always look on the positive side.

This past summer was supposed to be the best summer ever. It was my last summer at home and in August I was supposed to start college and have nothing to worry about. I was supposed to live out the whole “college experience”.

But on July 13th 2006, I found out that I was pregnant. I knew throughout the whole summer that I was, but I just didn’t have definite proof. Well on that day, I got my proof. And I’m not going to lie, I didn’t believe it, I threw the test on the floor and went back thirty minutes later; you know, to see if it changed its mind. But it didn’t, there was still a positive on the test.

After that I called my best friend Brittany (she’s been like a sister) and asked her to come over. When she finally got there, it only took her two minutes to get there but it seemed so much longer, she came into my room and just gave me a hug and all the support I needed. She let me know that I had “all the options”, but in reality I didn’t. There was only one option I had, to have the baby.

Telling my boyfriend that I was pregnant was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. I had no idea how to say it, I could have lied, but I couldn’t. So I said, “Ruben, I’m pregnant.” And his first response was “Are you sure?” When he said that, I wanted to hit him; I mean what was he thinking, did he think it was a joke? But then I remembered that I threw the test on the floor; so I told him that I was serious. He cried, a lot, but after he was done he had told me that he had a feeling I was pregnant. (I was one of those pregnant girls who get sick in their first three months, so it was really hard to hide it.)

On the next day, we decided to tell our parents. When we told them, of course they were surprised and kind of mad, but then they said something really interesting. Both sets of moms had said that they had a feeling I was pregnant. Well my reaction was:

“WHAT!!! Well if everyone knew before me, why didn’t anyone tell ME?!?!” Then I realized that I had known all along.

When I first found out, all I was doing was looking at the negative “what ifs”. Then I remembered that I had always looked at the positive side of situations, I realized that I was having a baby. And there is no other joy in the world that can compare to having a child. And instead of dwelling on the bad things that had happened, I had begun to look at all the positives that came from this. Since I found out, I am closer to my mom and dad (who I’ve never been close to), and I starting seeing the huge system of support and love I have behind me. I never noticed how much people were actually there for me until this had happened. And I’m happy to report that most of friends are by my side, supporting me and loving me.

In life when things come up out of place, don’t worry and make it worse by thinking about the negatives. Turn it around and think about the positives. Because in the end, either way you look at it, that situation happens and you can either accept it and be happy, or you can reject it and be miserable. I choose to be happy.