Jacqueline - Bridge City, Texas

While each one of us may be considered equally created in the eyes of God and our Constution I believe that there is no equality in the “brain box”. I believe it is our duty to understand, acknowledge and accept that intellect matters.

Based on 24 years of experience as a teacher, counselor and educational diagnostician, having administered hundreds of I.Q. and related educational assessments to children of all ages, I have developed a profound respect and some small measure of understanding for the enormous variations of the human brain.

These real life experiences have taught me that none of us are equal when it comes to our personal achievement in the halls of academia.

I find it sad and very disturbing that the majority of our educational policy makers simply refuse to acknowledge the facts. Some of our children are just naturally intellectually brighter than others, and these same children will mature into naturally brighter adults. The politically correct message is you can “be” and “do” anything you choose if only you will “work hard in school” and “follow your dream”. This is one of the saddest myths of our educational system. A child of limited abilities will never, no matter how hard he or she tries, become a brain surgeon or a rocket scientist. Having less than a genius I.Q. is no cause for shame, nor is it any one specific persons fault. That’s just the way it is. I believe every child should be cherished and given every educational opportunity minus the mythic rhetoric.

I shall never forget the words of a wise young mother, whose child I had assessed for both intellectual and academic abilities. Her child had tested in the very low average range, and as always, I began the oral part of my report with my carefully crafted “brain box” speech. After listening very intently and visually reviewing the data, she said, “You know Ms. McClintock I can understand and accept that my child is a slow learner, so why cant the teachers and administrators of this campus do the same?”

Why not indeed!