Andrew - Virginia Beach, Virginia

I believe in the forces of karma, it’s almost like the universe tends to unfold in the favor of the suffering individual. Almost everyone has had their different runs of luck. In particular I reflect on one trip in which I was traveling through Australia. The event I reflect on an incident with an outraged Aborigine.

While I was there with my travel group I had witnessed many shows that involved the traditional ways of life that the Aborigine’s used to live by. Out of all ten of the shows we went to all of them involved traditional dances that mimicked animals which made me giggle. Well I ended up doing mocks of the dances in a rather comical fashion, and after the group trip was over I visited my stepbrother who lived on the west coast of Australia in a city called Broome. We went camping and I did the dances at the fires every night. On the 3rd day of camping we got lost in the middle of the Australian wilderness (this may have been due to my step brother’s mass consumption of the beers that we brought), and that night I did the dances again. My step brother teased me that the spirits of the Aboriginal deities would scorn me for making fun of the dances. The next day I got dropped on by five birds, fell out of a tree that I was sitting in, and then to top it all off my tuna and macaroni became infested with giant ants and flies. I wondered whether or not all of the strange things that happened to me were of pure coincidence or were they karma related, I pondered the situation into the night and decided that there was no way karma had anything to do with the strange occurrences.

After we had found our bearings and made it back into civilization, we stopped to get gas and coca-cola’s. I went into the store to buy the drinks by my-self. As I was waiting in line a crazed Aboriginal ran into the convenience store and attacked me. He only managed to scratched my eye before the store clerk chased him out of the store. I then returned to the car very shocked and stunned, I gave my step brother his change and said nothing. He glanced me over and said “Andrew what happened, you look like you’ve just seen a ghost?” My step brother (Greg), my step cousin, and his best friend hadn’t seen what happened to me so they were unaware of the mauling. So I looked into Greg’s eyes through the rear-view mirror and said “Karma man, its one heck of a thing.” Well after these occurrences I have never made fun of some one’s race or culture for fear of an airplane falling on to me out of the sky. Many people might disagree with my opinion, but because of my experiences I choose to be safe and not sorry.