Ryan - Flagstaff, Arizona

I believe that people should live life to the fullest. Don’t hold back, don’t waste another second, don’t let life slip away and have no fear. These are the words that I live by, especially when I am on my skateboard.

I put a lot of time, money and determination towards my passion of skateboarding. If you want to progress as a skateboarder, you have to take risks, practice daily, and step out of your comfort zone. Once you step past the fear of falling, anything is possible. If you are scared about doing a certain trick and only go half in, then an accident is bound to occur, it’s all or nothing. Even if you give it your all, there is always the chance that you could fall, but you must persevere, get up, and try again.

Just six months ago I fell skating and shattered both bones in my left arm. I was at a local skate spot with two of my friends. I was on top of a large cement platform and I was jumping from the platform fridge that was on its side. There were large pieces of concrete boulders inside to weigh it down. I had successfully landed this trick several other times that day. My friends wanted to leave, but I told them that I wanted to try it one last time. On my final attempt I didn’t land completely parallel with the fridge and my board slid out from under me. I don’t remember how I fell, but I think I flipped over my side and my arm swung outwards and smacked one of the concrete blocks. The next thing that I remember was getting up and looking at my arm, I knew right away that it was broken. I suppose that I was in a state of shock with adrenaline flowing through my body, because I felt no initial pain. I told my friends that I broke my arm but they didn’t believe me. They thought it was some kind of joke. While one of them got my board and iPod, I quickly pulled off my shirt and wrapped it around my arm. My other friend then reached into my pocket and grabbed my car keys.

The after math of this incident was two plates and sixteen screws to hold the bones in my left arm together. I persevered, got up, and one week after surgery is was back on my board. I love skateboarding too much to just give up. Since then, my outlook on skateboarding hasn’t changed. To this day I still skateboard and live life to the fullest.

This I believe.