Parmesh - Hillsdale, New Jersey

We are living in a world ridden with strife and discord. Violence arising from religious or cultural differences, corporate greed, terrorism and fundamentalism are gnawing at the fabric of society. I have often wondered as to what has gone wrong. This again prompts me to ask: Am I not in some indirect way partially responsible for this state of affairs? Can I in my individual capacity make a difference?

I have been able to seek an answer to my queries in this event in Mahatma Gandhi’s life. Gandhi was traveling by train, when a British journalist rushed to his compartment, just as the train started to leave. ‘Mahatma, what is the message you want to give?’ As Gandhi had kept a vow of silence for the day, he scribbled on a piece of paper, and handed it to him, as the train left the station. It simply read, ‘My life is my message.’

I believe that the time is ripe for a change in global consciousness, and this, I recognize, has to start from me. When I dive into the core tenets and principles of my faith, I realize the commonalities with other faiths, which point to the oneness of all creation. ‘Vasudhaiva kutumbakam’ declares the Hindu scriptures, which means ‘The world is my family’. This extended family concept leaves no room for divisiveness; rather, it includes within its fold every heart that beats on the face of this earth. As I live this concept on a day-to-day basis, I feel the previously held prejudices melting away, like snow melting on a sunny day. And when I hear about the atrocities and the genocide in Darfur, it causes me as much pain as it would if it had happened in my backyard.

I believe the process of inquiry and discovery at the individual level will provide the momentum for a paradigm shift in consciousness in the immediate circle of influence. This will be picked up by others, and will proceed onwards and outwards. Once this awakening reaches a critical mass, it will pull the entire humanity like a spiritual tsunami, raising global awareness and understanding. Krishna, Jesus Christ and the other Masters have shown us that this is possible.

I believe that deliverance is round the corner for humanity as a whole. From the individual to the global, we will soon come to a state of being, where the veil of separateness and discord will be pierced so as to arrive at the Truth of oneness and brotherhood. And that will truly bring heaven on earth. This I believe.