Sasha - Pikesville, Maryland

Always End on a Good Note:

I believe in always ending every visit and phone call on a good note.

When I first realized how important it was to end every conversation, visit, and phone call on a good note, I was about five years old.

My grandfather had just been to the cardiologist and he met us at brunch like he always did. We had bagels, eggs, and cream cheese- the typical Jewish brunch. I begged and pleaded for my grandfather to grab my hands and spin me around in a circle. When he refused, I was upset and gave him the silent treatment for the rest of the day. I didn’t give him a hug, a kiss or even say, “I love you” before I left. Later that night, as my brothers and I were all lying in my mommy’s bed, waiting for my daddy to come home with dinner, we got a phone call from my grandmother. She said that my grandpa had been taken to the hospital in an ambulance because he had a heart attack. Later that evening my grandfather died, and left me while I was still mad at him. I never got that last “I love you”, or hug and kiss. Never would I get to see him again, or tell him how much I loved him and idolized him. Ever since that day, I have ended visit or call with a “thank you,” a hug, and an “I love you,” or a” see you later.” Sometimes I end with two or three of these.

Sounds easy, right? No. How many times have I angrily hung up on my best friend or my parents? How many times have I stomped out of a friend’s house because we got into a fight? How many times have I been mad at my parents because I didn’t get what I want? Now, before I hang up, or stomp out I think to myself. “What If never see them again, what if they die, what if I die? Would I want to end this way?” So, I’ve recently found myself calling back to say “I’m sorry,” or turning around and finding a solution to the fight. I even call my friends and family just to say, “hi!” or to remind them that I love them.

Ending on a good note means going the extra mile even when I might really dislike the person. It means walking the extra three steps to lean in for a hug, or blurting out the extra words to show that I care. Its so important to get rid of regret and stick to the small, simple stuff that makes life better. To do this, I and always end on a good note.