Jethsibeth - Pembroke Pines, Florida

Believing in something happening for a reason can change anyone’s perspective of the way they look at life; it has certainly changed my outlook. There is always a reason why something that is happening is happening. Whether it is for punishment, realization, or even just to bring someone to a different route of their life. I have certainly wondered at times, “why me?” However, it was because of that incident that led me to a new place, to a new opportunity, to a new home. Even though life is full of choices, the choice that is picked will result in a reason as to why the outcome of that choice has happened.

When I was growing up in Venezuela, I had to be one of the happiest children alive. My family was always around, I had cousins that loved me, and on top of all that, I always had a meal on the table. Many would have thought that I was too young to admire the things I did, but I knew very clearly the difference between wanting something and needing something. I was fortunate enough to grow up with such a family that was there to support and love and bring warmth into my life, but in the year of 1995, all that changed. My father received a promotion and my mother and I had to leave our family behind and move to the United States of America.

Life in America was something we were not used to. A different language was spoken that I definitely did not understand. I felt stranded and lost in a world that made no sense to me. I had no friends, no one to talk to, and I was alone. All I wanted to do was move back to where I came from, my real home.

Many things happen in life for no apparent reason at least that is what I thought until I realize that I was wrong. When I first moved into the United States, I hated it. I did not know what the purpose was for me to be living here. Little did I know that the change in my life was an opportunity for me.

Twelve years have past since I first moved in the U.S and now that I am nineteen years old, I have realized that the purpose for me to move was a life changing transformation. I have spoken briefly to a few of my cousins about what they are doing with their life and all they managed to say to me was that they are at home doing absolutely nothing. They are not going to school, not working, and not planning anything for their future. I, in the other hand, have finished high school and am currently in my second semester of college getting an education to become someone I would not have been given the opportunity to become if I had stayed back in my country.

Everything in life has a purpose that leads to a new door with new opportunities.