Mark - Beaverton, Oregon
Themes: children

It took a leap of faith to have my children. I had to have an operation in order to have a child. There were numerous reasons why I did not think I should bring another life into the world. I did not think I was at a good financial place so I can give my children security and a good college education. I did not think I was established enough in my career. I did not think I could be parent with the same single minded, total dedication that my parents did. I did not think I could be the father that would teach my son baseball or other American guy type skills.

After my son arrived in my life, I felt I arrived. I loved how his spirit, his happy personality just shown through as he grew. He is everything that I admire. He is outgoing, fun loving, funny, energetic, enthusiastic, smart, quick, and caring.

It was another hard, deliberate decision to have another child four years later. I did not take lightly the responsibility for adding another life to our lives as parents and to the planet. What tipped the balance was to give Michael a sibling so that we would be a family that was shared among more than one child.

I hoped that this next one would be a girl for I did not think I could live through another energetic boy plus since I grew up in a family of two brothers, I wanted a girl for the change.

Rachel came into our lives a week after my mother died. Bachan (Japanese for grandmother) was diagnosed for terminal breast cancer in December with three months to live. She died in March. Rachel Kayo’s middle name was my mother’s mother’s name who also died of breast cancer. She died in the World War II internment camp at Heart Mountain, Wyoming.

Rachel is my treasure. She has a fiery temper with an artist’s soul. She is both a leader and scared to venture out to the unknown. She wants help and wants to do it herself. She likes to be feminine and can be in-you-face. I loved that Rachel told me that she wants to laugh every day.

Today at 17 and 13 years of age, my two children are doing just fine. I have come to the realization all I needed to do is just be a conscious, loving parent who teaches by the example living my life the best I can with integrity. I never played baseball with Michael. He likes track.

My children prove there is a God. This I believe.