Rachel - Texas

The written definition of a hero is as follows, a man of distinguished courage or ability, and admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities. My definition of hero is Uncle John; or frankly anyone who risks his lives’ on a daily basis to fight for your freedom.

You never realize the actual amount of treachery that goes on “over there.” You see, we can’t even bring ourselves to say Iraq or to say the war… it is just to painful.

My uncle has changed both emotionally and physically. It is sad how you can see the wear and tear that has been etched into his appearance ever since he has been “over there.” Six years ago he had a full head of hair and a smile spread across his face at any moment. Now, his hair missing and a more strict, intimidating smile conpiled of worry lines rather than laugh.

I will never forget the first time I saw him after his first tour. Not once did his shoulders come down, the tenseness unimginable. But, wouldn’t you be the same if you drove right over a land mine on a convoy and your best friend, just inches away from yourself, was blown to pieces? But he has learned to just move on past that; just another memory in his mind. The names of his fallen comrades deeply scribed in his heart. The only thing that keeps him alive, his heart. Still remaining as tender as day one.

Yes, even though he has earned many awards for his brave duties, that is not the true definition of a hero, no. A hero is a living, breathing, sacrificing being that has seen and felt the emotion… not just a set of words.