Kimberly - Centennial, Colorado
Themes: carpe diem

“Fear of the future is a waste of the present” – Anonymous. As you prepare for adult life, you shouldn’t sacrifice what is available now for what may occur in the future. You never know when your life will change drastically or if you will live to see another day.

Looking at my life, it’s obvious that I really don’t have big plans for the future. I like to procrastinate doing my homework and rarely study for any tests until the last moment. In eighth grade, I learned my lesson. I got really sick, because I stressed my self out too much worrying about school. I missed a week of school, making it hard to finish homework in time, which stressed me out even more. When I finally got all caught up, I resolved to take more time for things happening in the present and less about stuff far in the future.

My parents have always said they are proud of how I live my life. My mom has always loved how I am social and friendly, while I stay on top of school to be ready to step into the world. The truth is my mom hasn’t gotten her full potential out of her life. Since an early age, her mother sheltered her to the point that she didn’t learn to spread her wings very far. She looks back on how she was in high school and wishes that she could have my same attitude about how I live my life. I don’t let the little insignificant problems in my life bother me.

Some people are bothered by how easy going I am. But in all honesty, my biggest fear is worrying my life away. The more I stress about things, the less time I have to enjoy myself. It hurts when I see people so caught up in making their future the best possible that they forget what is happening in the present and lose all sense of now. When they finally wake up, they’re middle-aged, and they never got to experience teen life.

I’m not saying that you should only live for now. If you do that, you won’t have a life in the future, and all that will matter are the “Glory Days” of the past. I only mean that if you stress too much about the future, you won’t be able to live in the present. We all have our stressful times, but the successful people in life are able to get over the stressful times by relaxing and taking one thing at a time.

“Carpe diem,” or “seize the day” is another way to express how we should live every day to the fullest. Take time for the fun in life, and keep an eye out for the future this I believe.