Tommy - Flagstaff, Arizona
Themes: family, sports, work

Tommy Rock

MLS 601

Grandfather’s Wisdom

I believe in running. Running makes your heart strong for future adversities. Growing up in solitude, my grandfather would wake me up in the morning, usually at the break of dawn. The reason behind this was to make me strong and to make my heart strong in the process. In the morning when the sky is red like our eyes when we wake up, that is when the Holy People are out rewarding people for waking up with them. In order for the Holy People to recognize you, you must yell when you run. So every morning when I wake up I run.

When you’re young it is sometimes hard to wake up in the morning, especially when are told to go run. There are days when the weather is just terrible. I had to wake up. My first intention is to just run around the corner, then maybe just lay back down again, but when I get to the corner, I want to go farther. My mind is awake now, so is my body and I get into a rhythm. Just running around the corner and out of sight tends to fade away from my mind. Soon I get into a runner’s high; I feel like I can run forever.

One day I asked my grandfather why I run in the morning. He knew I needed more then the same answer he had given me. My grandfather said to me, “you may lose the one you care about or have some other adversities. You will have the heart to carry on. You run every morning because of this. I do not want you to give up and cry about your loss and feel sorry for yourself. I want you to pick yourself up and carry on. I am not going to live forever but my words and wisdom will be forever, the rest is up to you if you choose to accept what I am teaching you.”

I reflected back on what my grandfather said inside the Hogan that early morning many years ago when I was a child. Running in the morning helped make me stronger in mind and heart. The entire element that Mother Nature threw at me in those early mornings made me who I am. The weather was like life: some days are worse then others. Now I feel like I can go to school until I get my Master’s degree. I may not have understood it at the time but what my grandfather taught me has gotten me this far.