Matthew - Bowling Green, Ohio

I believe in my dream to be President of the United States. You have never heard my name nor am I one of the many vying for consideration in 2008. But the belief that I could be President has influenced many of my decisions and made me aspire to higher and greater achievements. It is an expression of achievement in my life – what can be accomplished if I set my mind to a goal. The goal is more than a selfish ambition though; it has served as a motivator of social consciousness.

My dream – which I believe has been grasped by almost every American political aspirant, regardless of the level of office – is one that says that no matter my place in society, my vision for a better America can be realized. Is my dream realistic? Well, statistically probably not, but to paraphrase Hebrews – Presidents are famous for delving into the Bible for quotes – the belief in being President is the assurance of the office hoped for, and the conviction that you are the right person for that office.

Throughout my life my heroes have not been from sports, comic books, or NASA, but all have held the highest office in the land. I have constantly sought out books about Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, Adams and both Roosevelts. These role models have helped shaped my worldview and directed me along a path toward civic accomplishment.

In spite of impossible odds, my desire for the Presidency is undeterred. I am an attorney because my admiration of Abraham Lincoln led me to seek out his profession. I have practiced for thirteen years as a law clerk, prosecutor and now, in the Republic of Georgia, as a volunteer for the American Bar Association, trying to assist in what little way I can in the establishment and preservation of the rule of law. Presidents have the great position of not only proposing plans for a greater America, but also creating a better world. My pursuit of justice as an attorney, both in America and abroad, stems directly from my ambition for the Presidency. At this moment I can work on the small things, maybe someday I can influence the larger matters.

The sum of my belief is that we should all believe that we can make our country and world a better place. Aspiring to be President of the United States just happens to motivate my contribution. Along the way to my goal I can work on the smaller aspects of our world in preparation for when I assume that great position. If I don’t actually change my address to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue I will have made the places where I tread better. It is a dream that has possessed me for over thirty years and I think as long as that dream is alive, I will, whether an actual candidate or not, continue to advance justice, equality, and freedom in my pursuit of the pinnacle of American ambition.