Phuong - Wichita, Kansas

Individuality: Perspectives

What a person believes in is an aspect of that person’s individuality. I believe that a person’s individual perspective should be recognized and accepted.

Living in a world without recognition and acceptance of individuality means that all that is accepted today would be completely disregarded. Recognition of individuality is realizing that every individual has their own opinions and perspectives on different matters. Accepting that those differences exist, proves that we are able to compromise on those different perspectives and come to a conclusion. With the opposing side’s perspectives, our narrow viewpoint can be broaden to grasp an entirely different perspective from which we ourselves, has never looked from.

At times, individuality can be regarded as “something bad”. Just the thought of being different causes me to tremble with fear. I doubt the power of individuals from time to time still. After all, differences can lead to teasing, being excluded from groups, or even to arguments of whether who’s right or wrong. If individuality has a probability of causing these, why take the chance to be different?

Ever since I was young, I’ve learned through personal experience that it’s not the best thing in the world to be different. Even now, it’s difficult to be proud of being different. I still remember myself in my elementary school days. Back then, all that mattered to me was making new friends, and what better than to fit in? I didn’t exactly “fit in”. While everyone had their own thoughts about school and the current “trends”, my thoughts differed from theirs. Yet, in order to secure my position as a “friend”, I chose to ignore my own opinion, conforming to their ideas. Now that I look back on those events, I understand that everyone has their own perspectives, because of the experience they’ve come across. Not everyone will have the exact same opinions and ideals, and I should accept that. Accepting others’ point of views can me help broaden my own view and contribute to the growth of my experience. This is the power of individual thoughts.

The power of individual thoughts can also be shown throughout history. If the American delegates never voiced their opposition to Great Britain’s rule, would American exist today as it is? As a result of their voiced opposition and actions to enforce their perspectives, Great Britain admitted defeat and gave them more territory when they could have just left the Americans with just what they fought for. After America was recognized as it’s own sovereign country, a government had to be established to run the country. The laws of America today, was established by the many different opinions from the delegates of the past. These differences in opinions were overcame by the compromising of their opinions.

So why take the chance to voice the differences? Voicing those differences shows the unique person inside each one of us, and those differences are our way of compromising. Thus, a person’s thoughts and ideals should be recognized and accepted, as I believe it should be.