Hannah - Wichita, Kansas

Mother Teresa once said, “The most terrible poverty is loneliness, and the feeling of being unloved.” I believe in the power of relationships.

I volunteer once a week at the front desk in a hospital. Most commonly, people approach the desk inquiring about patients’ room numbers. Each visitor comes through the door with a different expression. Some look frantic and worried while others seem cheerful or hopeful. Their moods may vary depending on a patient’s recovery status, but all visitors arrive with something in common. They all care about someone at the hospital, whether it be their mother, spouse, or best friend. These relationships create the necessity for an information desk at the hospital. They’re why I volunteer there every week.

Relationships affect not only my weekly routine, but also my daily one. Many times, I feel that life throws too many obstacles for me to tackle. As I sat in a busy hallway one day before school, I started thinking about my life and then I realized how much my friends mean to me. I have some friends that make me laugh and relieve me of any stress that school gives me. Some will listen to my rants at any time of the day. A couple of my best friends will even tell me when I am completely wrong. In many situations, a friend to talk with is all I really need to stay optimistic.

In addition to friends, my family members also play a large role in my life. I consult my two older brothers for advice and they share their experiences with me. My parents support me in my school and extracurricular activities. The most difficult class listed in my schedule this year is AP Calculus. I got an 85 on my first test, but my scores dropped significantly on the next two tests. My mom reassured me and motivated me to do well on the next exam. I ended up getting a 95 on the test and happily surprised not only myself, but also my mother. She congratulated me and bought a vase of flowers for me the next day to celebrate. I feel blessed to have parents that encourage me to work hard and put in my best effort, and ones who celebrate with me when my efforts pay off.

In all sixteen years of my life thus far, relationships have been the foundation for my growth as an individual. Everyone needs someone to care for and people to care for him or her as well. This I believe.