Rachel - Plano, Texas
Themes: fear

I believe in facing your fears. Too many people don’t do what they love because they are afraid. People avoid things that could bring them great joy, because they also bring great fear. I am one of them.

I have been involved in theatre since seventh grade, and in middle school I loved it. I enjoyed watching a script come to life, and thirteen year-olds become fifty in an instant. I liked theatre in middle school because it was easy, and I worked my way to the top. In my first play I had three lines; in my last play I had over a hundred. I made so many friends through theatre, and we all knew that we would continue the tradition in high school.

When I tried out for my first play in high school, I didn’t make it. The play had a small cast, but I was still slightly shocked. This was the first play I had ever tried out for and not made. The week after the cast list went up, I just kept reassuring myself that this was just one play out of many and I’ll have many more plays to be in. The more I told myself, the more I thought it was a lie. That play was the last play I have tried out for.

Most of my friends are still very involved in theatre, and as such they are now much better actors than me. After every audition, I have to make up some kind of excuse as to why I didn’t try out. I forgot about them, I don’t like to sing, I lost the form. The truth is, because of that one play I am now deathly afraid to try out. Something that was an amazing experience for me in the past now causes dread in the pit of my stomach.

I cannot put into words how much I regret not being in theatre. All the new friends I could have made are now acquaintances or friends-of-friends. I will not let that feeling of regret last much longer, I plan to try out for the next play. There are four plays that I could have been in, if only I could overcome my fear. I missed out on four chances for laughter, friends, and of course cast parties. I don’t plan on missing my fifth chance.