Molly - Wichita, Kansas

Dear Mrs. Fry,

When you assigned the class to write an essay for NPR’s “This I Believe” contest, I thought it would be easy; something I could put off until the night before. Yet when I sat down to actually write the essay, I discovered that explaining what I believe in 500 words or less is much more difficult than I originally thought. I came up with a two page long list of beliefs, and I found it impossible to narrow my list down to just one belief. The best I could do was to combine them all into one belief; I believe in infinite possibilities.

All of my life, I have had a multitude of opportunities thrown at me. From after school activities to jobs to summer programs to colleges, the choices are never-ending. Sometimes, I feel overwhelmed by the idea that I can do absolutely anything I want with my life. I could be a biologist, an astronaut, or a professional stuntwoman. And at the age of sixteen, I am still nowhere near narrowing the list down to one or two choices. So when people ask me “What do you want to be when you grow up?” or “Where do you want to go to college?,” I lie and tell them what I think they might want to hear. The truth is this: I do not know. I hate that I have to limit myself to one college experience or one job experience. I know that I am capable of and that I have the power and will to go

anywhere I want to go and be anything I want to be. I want to enjoy life to the fullest and not have to settle for any one thing. I do not want my life to turn into a math problem, where there is only one concrete answer. I want to explore as many possibilities as I can. Like I stated earlier, I believe in endless possibilities; however, that is not all there is to my belief. I believe in open mindedness and trying new things; I believe in the value of challenging oneself with new experiences; and most of all, I believe in exploring all possibilities.

I am sorry that I could not pinpoint an exact belief. However, when you are grading these essays, I hope you will agree that the possibilities truly are endless in that your students can believe in so many different things. Endless possibilities, this I believe.

Molly Martens