Brian - Littleton, Colorado

Have you ever had ambition for something meaningless when you look back on it, but you still wanted to do it anyway? What if no one had any passion for anything, and no one tried their hardest at anything? I believe in a hard working, committed frame of mind, which allows me to succeed in my life.

My parents have always given me this piece of advice, “If you start something, you finish something; quitting is not an option.” I have lived my entire life guided by this philosophy. I believe that not working hard is not an option. Most nights, when I’m doing my homework, I try to convince myself that it’s alright to have a B on an assignment, and it’s ok if everything isn’t exactly perfect. But it’s not OK…to me. It’s not ok because I know that if I would have spent just a little more time on that assignment, I could have received an A. It sounds weird to some people that I would spend so much time on things just to get an A, but it’s just how I operate.

Most of my commitment and hard work comes from my parents. My parents both work hard in what they do and they passed it on to me. Commitment has molded me into who I am today. Commitment means when you start something, you finish it, and you finish it with heart. When I play sports, commitment drives me to excel; if I am not committed why am I there? The force that drives me into being committed to something, or to work hard, is a mysterious force. This force has caused me to miss social events because of sports, it has caused me to use free time to complete homework, and it has caused me to try to excell in everything that I do, and that’s weird to some people. I observe others waste their lives away, having no passion towards anything. So, I believe that the mysterious force only affects certain individuals. If our founding fathers had decided Britain was too powerful to overthrow, and had given up hope of revolution, would our country be where it is today? Our lives would be very different without commitment.

As human beings, we are all unique. Commitment comes in different forms. Commitment can be as powerful as revolution, or as small as competing in sports. I believe in a society where no one quits, and everyone has faith in one another to accomplish what they are accountable for. I believe in working hard and committing myself to achieve my goals. No matter how small some goals I set are, natural instinct compels me to accomplish them. I believe in hard work and commitment.