Dan - Wichita, Kansas

I believe that I control my own destiny; all my decisions develop my future. No one can influence my future, no matter how hard they try. Only I can shape my future, and grasp every opportunity that comes by. This I believe.

Most people believe in destiny, but I oppose these opinions. Fate is only fulfilled by the individual’s impetus. Following blindly will lead in disappointment. I believe that my fate is controlled with my own resolve in order to accomplish my goals.

As a young child, I followed everything my parents said; I did everything that they told me to do, following orders like a machine. As they tried to provide for the perfect future, all I could see past was their rewards whenever I succeeded in doing something right. I only saw the temporary rewards I received from success; I never saw what my parents saw, my successful future as the end result. Because my failure to recognize this, I did not attempt anything beyond necessity; I only did what my parents suggested and did the bare minimum to pass their goals. I followed the map of my destiny set out by my parents, which in the end failed me.

As I grew older, I was enrolled into more rigorous programs. My lack of motivation became my downfall; I needed to do more than before. It took me a while to understand it, but I needed to shape up in order to carry out my parents’ plan. I understood their plan, and now attempt to make it a reality, turning it into my personal goal. I realized that I needed to gain motivation and take hold of my future. At that moment, I decided that I needed to work harder in order to succeed. I studied harder, joined clubs, sports, and various activities. I gained motivation to strive for success and also my belief that only I can control my future.

I believe that only I control my future; only I can motivate myself to accomplish my goals and determine my future. I create my own destiny, despite anyone who tries to interfere; this I believe.