Michelle - plano, Texas

I believe that music has power; an inexplicable power to mesmerize an audience in the midst of their busy day and to enthrall listeners with satisfying chills.

Sitting in a grandiose theater, ready to perform a concert with the band. The director signals the start with a flick of his baton, and the magical journey begins. “Blue Shades,” the program reads. The audience does not realize the emotional roller coaster that they will be experiencing. The dexterous, hollow sound of the clarinets rave at high-speed in a swing-like syncopation, while a section of flutes create a unique texture with their “flutter-tonguing” at the start of the piece. As the song builds, the deep, heroic voices of the horns add volume, while the tubas sound out low booming chords with warm vibes. Convincingly, the climax has arrived with every instrument blaring at the top of their lungs, all this only to be followed by an antithesis of sound. Luring, sensual, and “dirty” the low brass, then, bellows out an indescribable ensemble of sound; a feeling that can only be felt by experience. The audience feels a slight tingle throughout their body.

As the song proceeds, the jazz-like swing returns intermixing with various themes from adroit speed, to light staccato uplifts. The song proceeds, enrapturing the audience as a whole, and preventing anybody from moving a muscle. People have stopped on the stairs on their way to the bathrooms, younger band students have halted in the midst of their chatters, and babies have temporarily hushed. It seemed as if the song had stopped the world for a few minutes. Finally, the songs foreshadowed a near end. The tempo sped up, the tension of the chords built, and the volume dramatically increased, and then in the midst of all the chaos: silence. A pause for an eighth of a beat; the mere millisecond of a pause that rouses the most dramatic of emotions arrived as shock to the captivated audience, and then finally an ever so slight tap of the suspended symbol concludes the song. The song is over, the actual ride has ended, but the purge of thought and emotion continues to race throughout, and the thus, the audience has experienced the power of music, and a satisfying chill has spread throughout. Utter silence proceeds, and as the remaining echoes of the majestic song ring away, the audience awes over the unfathomable power of music.